20th Anniversary Celebrations
Thank you for making the last 20 years so special
When we took over The Morritt in July 1994, we knew we had an exciting journey ahead of us but we didn’t appreciate just how far we would come in 20 years.
The past two decades raced by, and we’d like to say a huge thank you to the many customers and loyal staff who shared this journey with us.
Nine years ago, we put the hotel on the market and lined up a buyer. But when we started to show the potential new owner around, and talk about all the things that we could do to enhance The Morritt, we were so excited we wanted to do it all ourselves. So we decided to stay and have enjoyed watching our ideas come to life ever since. It was one of the best decisions we ever made!
We’re proud to remain a family-run hotel with a passion for excellence in everything we do. Throughout our 20 years at this historic coaching inn we’ve seen a great deal of extraordinary change and investment. Personal highlights include:
- We built an enviable position as one of the area’s leading venues for weddings and functions. In the past 20 years we have hosted more than 1,000 weddings.
- We opened our unique Garage Spa in 2013, with the UK’s only outdoor Shepherd’s Hut sauna and a range of relaxing treatments - with more innovations coming this year.
- Gilroy’s a la carte restaurant was awarded 2AA Rosettes in 2013 and has developed a reputation for great food using local produce.
- The Garden Room extension was built next to the grand ballroom in 2007 and is a beautiful venue for weddings.
- To celebrate the bicentenary of Charles Dickens’ birth we commissioned local artist Stuart Short to paint a set of murals in the Dickens Bistro to complement John Gilroy’s murals that were completed in 1946.
- We individually designed all our guest bedrooms to high standards.
Whether you’re a regular visitor or a first-time guest, we’ve some great ways for you to get involved with our 20th anniversary celebrations. And if you’re an artist or photographer in Teesdale, you can participate in one of our exciting Spirit of Teesdale art projects.
See the links opposite for details about all of these events.
Once again, thank you for making the past 20 years so special. We’re already looking ahead to the next 20!Barbara-Anne Johnson & Peter PhilipsProprietors